DO I HAVE CATARACTS?
As cataracts form, many people won’t even notice their vision starting to blur because it starts small and happens gradually. Using our eyes almost constantly everyday, it is extremely common for people to just natural adapt to this gradual process as it begins.
The blurring itself is due to the fact that we naturally develop a build-up of proteins inside the lens of the eye as we age. Over time, this buildup leads to a clouding of the lens, and eventually blurred vision. This is why almost everyone ends up getting cataracts at some point in their lives.
It should be stressed, however, that vision changes like this are not always the result of cataracts. There are other very serious and life-threatening conditions that share several symptoms with Cataracts.
Common Initial Signs
Below is a list of common signs people might first experience as a result of cataracts:
- When driving, does it feel like you are finding more and more corners and intersections that seem to lack sufficient light?
- At night, are rings around every light making it more difficult to see what else is in their direction?
- At night, do you find yourself needing to go towards light to see or read things more often?
- Is direct sunlight or the glare of other bright lights becoming more painful to your eyes?
- Have the bright blues also seem to have vanished in your life, in favor of more greyed, greenish or generally muted tones?
- Do all of the things in your life that used to be bright white now seem greyed out or yellowish?
- Does it feel like the World is becoming ever increasingly cloudy and dim?
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms and suspect you may be showing some initial signs of cataracts, please schedule an appointment immediately. People often wait too long, letting the effects sneak up on them. They wait until something bad happens before getting their condition checked.
And remember, Cataracts can not only place you and others at a much greater risk, especially while driving at night, but they also share symptoms with other serious and life-threatening conditions.
Schedule an appointment now and be safe rather than sorry. Please call 512.528.1144 or request an appointment online.